Just a place for random rantings and ravings.....

Thursday, May 31, 2007

God Loves Durham

This past Memorial Day weekend, Michelle and I took the baby up to Durham, NC to visit my sister and her family and attend their house warming party. Saturday morning, the day before the actual shindig, my brother in-law needed my help to pick up some furniture in a town 45 minutes away, so being the helpful soul I am, I oblige and agree to drive his SUV. Now I'm one of those people who HAS to listen to music while they drive or else I'm prone to fall asleep at the wheel from boredom, ESPECIALLY cruising the windy back routes through woods and farmland. So I turn on the radio and considering the fact that I don't know the local stations, I hit "scan" just to get a musical feel of the town-Testing one station to the next, here's what I got:

College rock-talk radio-country-Christian Rock-country-country-bad hip hop-country-Christian rock-country-classic rock-R&B-country-Christian rock-Gospel-country- old school R&B-country-Christian Rock-Gospel-and you guessed it-COUNTRY.

(The word "country" starts looking funny after you type it so many times!)

Despite the fact that Durham has more country stations than I've EVER seen before, on a whim I just decide to leave it on one of the Christian rock stations. I don't listen to that genre of music at all, so I just decided to give it a try and soon realize that I'm bored after the first two songs. Then after the third song, I realized WHY I was bored- they ALL are talking about the SAME THING. I'm not a big fan of monotony, and I've been known to take differents routes to get from place to place- just because. This eclipsed all other monotonous memories to date because not only was the songwriting bad but the songs were soooooooo predictable! I knew exactly what the next guy was going to sing about before the song even started.

It got me to thinking. I'm not nearly as omniscient as God is, but if I know what the song is about, surely God knows. I mean, think about this for a second. The songs that came on had lyrics like, "You're the eternal God" and "You're the creator of the universe" and "You're my everlasting God". If I'm God, I ALREADY KNOW! If all the radio stations in Heaven only play Christian rock (because of course that's the ONLY music God, listens to), don't you think God would be sitting there with his hands on his chin sighing to himself, "I know, I know, praise me, praise me. I gave the world life, blah, blah, blah. Now can you turn on some Duke Ellington or Pink Floyd? You whiny bastards bore me!"

Sunday morning, we were on our way to take all the kids to the Life and Science Museum before the party and as we passed this church as it was emptying and Michelle jokingly says, "Hey, let's go to church instead!" which starts off a conversation with my intelligent 6year old nephew Tre. It went something like this:

Tre- "We normally go to church on Sunday"

Michelle- "Yeah. So how do you like it?"

Tre-"I don't like it because church is boring!"

Michelle- "It's boring? So how does that make you feel?"

Tre- "Well, it makes me wonder how boring God is."

Well, I guess that says it all. God isn't boring. WE ARE! But at least he has a sense of humor!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

amen!

Thu May 31, 09:40:00 AM

 
Blogger mimi said...

Very interesting. The music, or lack thereof, makes a person with the least of musical accumen or appreciation want to go insane being so deprived. The Church reference too was interesting. I've seen & known all sides of the spectrum: those who attend because they have no choice(Tre),those who attend because they are inspired to do so, due to a powerful minister or slamming choir or those who attend because they are literally "called"; I would ask you if you are in any of those "camps" (no offense)but you've never struck me as a participant in an organized religion.Thanks for sharing. Peace & Love, micki

Fri Jun 01, 04:18:00 AM

 
Blogger Nicole said...

Hey I made a thread about music when I got an IPOD for Christmas

Nic's Ipod Archive

there are alot of comments and most of them are alot of the usual BS Off TOp comments that happen at my blog, but some interesting music choices nonetheless.

Didn't have you pegged as churchy either...and you have a baby..Congrats!! How old, etc etc. ( Unless you are keeping that private which I COMPLETELY would understand!!!)

Fri Jun 01, 09:29:00 AM

 
Blogger paz y amor said...

Risa- Enjoy your last six weeks! I'm sure you guys will make the most of it!

Mimi- I was in the camp of people who had to go because their grandmother made them. Though I learned a lot from the Unitarian Church we went to, I was often bored. The only time I've ever enjoyed going to church was when the choir was tearing the roof off- and that was when my grandmother wanted to visit a different church, usually an AME church. But you're right, I'm pretty anti-organized religion.

Nicole- I'm impressed with the 216 comments! Prepare for 217 (a little late I suppose).

I have a one year old girl and you can see a pic if you click on the "Tea Time" post- well, hell I'll give you the link.

http://yahrah.blogspot.com/2007/01/tea-time.html

This was when she was about six months old if you can believe it.

Fri Jun 01, 12:24:00 PM

 
Blogger Nicole said...

Paz, she's BEAUTIFUL!!

What a little dolly!
Enjoy her, and all girls get a little spoiled!

My baby turned 13 yesterday. It's hard to believe and the time goes by in a blink. I recall this shy little baby girl who would hide under my neck if anyone looked at her and now she is this outgoing, absolutely stunning 5'7 92pound young woman. What is even harder and wait, my friend your turn will come, is when we notice guys checking her out...sometimes I think my hubby is going to either have a heart attack or get arrested!! lol

oh yeah...217...I always welcome your comments!! Better late then never!! ;-)

and as for the 216 comments, I warned you, 90% of them are the usual bull sh*t that goes on at my blog, but it's all good! :)

Fri Jun 01, 01:04:00 PM

 
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

You and michelle better stop tainting other people's kids. Big A is gonna hurt somebody....

Yo, I may have asked you this before but ummm.....can i have Juicy when you go DI-RECKLY to Hell??

and no I'm not going with you....

Fri Jun 01, 02:05:00 PM

 
Blogger paz y amor said...

Nic- Well thank you for the compliment. She's ALREADY spoiled and I tried not to, I swear! I'm already preparing my gun permit application cause I KNOW what's coming as far as the boys are concerned. I ain't ready!

By the way, the bullshit sometimes makes the best conversation!

Kiyotoe- Those kids are already tainted, Big A just doesn't know it yet! And of course you can have Juicy, but I have two rules, a) no McDonalds, and b) no McDonalds.

Hey man, there's no use in denying that we'll both be riding in that fiery mustang in Hell- that is if certain interpretations of the Bible are correct. Considering that we're both having premarrital sexual relations, neither of us go to church, and you eat pork, we're shoe-ins. Although I might have a leg up on you since swine is not in my diet.

Sat Jun 02, 09:22:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My baby is sooo smart! You didn't tell me he said that!
And yes, sad to say, he's tainted ;).
In Durham's defense we are in the South AND radio everywhere sucks. Also the SUV comes with a CD player. Thank God, hallelujah and AMEN!

Mon Jun 04, 05:58:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1627008,00.html

Tue Jun 05, 07:39:00 AM

 
Blogger paz y amor said...

Well Moo, as much as I adore your in-laws, you know I couldn't say anything like that around them! I KNOW Tre wouldn't have enjoyed the exorcism he would have gotten. (ha!) I read that article about personalized radio, but I have a feeling it's gonna flop. We've become too controlling in ourt musical tastes!

Tue Jun 05, 08:19:00 AM

 
Blogger Eyezaku said...

glad you survived the drive! Christian rock does not rock but it may rock you to sleep. is there such a thing as Christian rap? i hope not.

Thu Jun 07, 02:18:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home