Just a place for random rantings and ravings.....

Monday, April 16, 2007

Sad Times

You know, as a new parent I have to wonder if any place is safe for the kids to be anymore. Growing up, there were two places that I always felt the safest- at home and at school, but now it seems that the last bastions of safety are being compromised on the daily. The death toll from today's shooting on Virginia Tech's campus rose from 1 to 7 to 21 to 31, and I'm sure there will be more counting to do before we all go to bed tonight.

It seems in recent years for whatever reason, that schools and the students studying there are becoming easy, innocent targets for lunatics with firearms. I guess what I don't understand is why they choose places of higher learning to carry out their evil deeds. Why not just bust up into some crack house with guns blazing, or even round and take out a bunch of heinous pedophiles to make a point or seek revenge? Hell, take out a few corrupted politicians while you're at it, but spare our future teachers, doctors, scientists and social workers! Assholes.


The most fucked up part about this is that the folks who were killed today are all kids who are just hitting the prime of their lives. They were just getting to the point of understanding who they really are and what the fuck they want to do with themselves, all the while making those lifelong friends and memories to get them through life's most troubling times. College is that period where you can still be a kid, but pretend to be a responsible adult ("babydult" as my sister would say), study until 6 and play spades until 4, have company or have visitation revoked for the month, philosophize until your head spun or just learn something new about yourself by simply gazing at the stars.

And need I mention the assortment of characters you meet that enhance your very being? The clubbers, the stoners, the steppers, the junkies, the nerds, the jocks, the hippies, the drunks, the manwhores, the "tree people", the "wall people", the loud ass people upstairs, the cultists, the "career students" in mini shorts and jheri curls, and the strippers working their way through school. The people who would get you high- just because they didn't want to puff alone. The folks who make you smile and cry in the same day. The people who'd piss you off, but would clean you up after you throw up all over yourself from a night of binge drinking. The friends who'd sit and listen to you vent about Biology class and the chick who doesn't know you exist, and the "friends" who are so self consumed that they have to lie about shit to feel better about themselves. The people who make you a better musician, and the people who sketch your image in the midst of your musical growth. The friends who you get in trouble with, and the folks who take the sucker punches intended for you. Your openly gay, exchange student roomate, and the roomates who just might be. The folks who resemble you on campus, and the folks who you mistakenly call by someone else's name- in bed (I never did it by the way, but I know people who did! Whew!!!). THIS is what college is all about and THESE are the people who shape you and the life that is to come. You eventually learn the biggest lesson that college has to offer: that you are forever changed by the people you've encountered and wouldn't be the same had you not met. Instead of living out those experiences, a bunch of people in Virginia have lost their runnin' buddies, consiglieris, girlfriends, first loves, last loves, study partners, roommates, sorority sisters, designated drivers, fathers, daughters, mothers and sons- vital parts of themselves.


It's a goddamn, muthafuckin, wasteful shame! May they all forever rest in peace....

14 Comments:

Blogger EJL said...

I agree!

Tue Apr 17, 11:01:00 AM

 
Blogger The Hollow Man said...

Well Paz, I can tell you why they choose schools... they know nobody there can stop them. It's illegal to carry a firearm at a school even if you have a CCW permit. Same with post offices by the way. Go figure

Tue Apr 17, 04:03:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice post, paz. to think of how their lives were taken like that...it's terrible.

Tue Apr 17, 04:22:00 PM

 
Blogger notfearingchange said...

It is a shame. It is so sad to see precious youth taken away. It is so sad to see someone driven to this state of wanting to harm. It makes me question society and humanity.

Tue Apr 17, 04:45:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well put, it is overwhelmingly upsetting.....

Wed Apr 18, 09:26:00 AM

 
Blogger paz y amor said...

Kiyo- Come to think of it, we were probably 10 minutes away from being victims ourselves! You know what I thought about though, how many people "lost it" when we were at CAU? I know of at least TWO off the top of my head. Luckily they didn't have firearms on them when they brokedown!

(You were in there, right before Quan's Big G cheek. No ego needed homes.)

No fear- Sorry you had to hear about this while on your Sing trip. That has to be a drag of sorts.

Ptoes/Mich- Sad can't even describe how I felt when I got the full story. I just wonder what drives people to such depths. Luckily I had you and all my other boys to keep me sane!

Hollowman- I'm not sure allowing ANYONE to have firearms on campus is the answer. I have the feeling though that drunk hot-headed fratboys would turn college into the Wild West. That being said, one armed student with a 9mm could have saved many lives.

Ellie- You'll find that I'm very agreeable! :)

Thu Apr 19, 09:32:00 AM

 
Blogger Eyezaku said...

i was a drunk and a wanna be manwhore.

i once called my girlfriend by the wrong name. the consequences were not very fantastic.

RIP to VT's victims.

Sun Apr 22, 09:16:00 AM

 
Blogger Woozie said...

Can we move on? Damn! I'm tired of hearing about Virginia Tech!

Mon Apr 23, 01:20:00 PM

 
Blogger paz y amor said...

eyechan- I can only imagine the wrath you felt from that one. Whew! I'm sure you didn't do that again.

Wooz- I know it's becoming a dead horse of sorts but should we talk about the whiny bastardasses in political office instead?

Mon Apr 23, 06:22:00 PM

 
Blogger Woozie said...

Talk about how fascinating rubber bands are, or some car crash you witnessed, or the last time you got laid, ANYTHING other than Virginia Tech....the power of Christ compels you!

Tue Apr 24, 01:26:00 PM

 
Blogger paz y amor said...

Ah Ms. Merrakesh- thanks for droppin in! I heard someone say one time that the heinous acts violence that continue to plague America is the price for the freedoms we have. Just as we're free to walk the streets and speak our minds, other people are free to buy guns, ammo and shoot people randomly. I couldn't begin to tell you what the answer is or how to solve the problem....

Woozie- How about we talk about using rubber bands to get laid which led to a car crash! Now THAT would be a story to share. Damn cynic....

Wed Apr 25, 07:36:00 AM

 
Blogger Woozie said...

This one time at bad camp I found a rubber band and said "Wow this is fascinating!" and I wondered how much it would hurt if I put it around my penis so I did and then a girl walked up to me, impressed with the bulge, and offered a good 'n' hearty fuck in her car and she had a fetish for sex while driving so we're flying down I-95 as 100 mph having sex but then we swerve into the path of an 18 wheeler carrying rubber bands and there's this huge crash that kills the girl, launches the rubber band off my penis and throws other bands all across the highway and then I crawled out and said "Wow this rubber band is fascinating!" and then I put it on my penis and then the female truck driver walked up to me...

NEW TOPIC.

Wed Apr 25, 10:05:00 AM

 
Blogger paz y amor said...

Woozie- HA HA!!! That story surely eliminates the need to talk about VT anymore. Point taken, movin' on...

So wait, what happened with the female truck driver?

Wed Apr 25, 12:07:00 PM

 
Blogger Woozie said...

She wanted to have sex but realized that she never got the sex change fully completed so there's no vagina, and I wasn't in the mood to deal with poopydick so we just went to TGI Friday's. I ordered some ribs, she had some pasta, it was good.

Wed Apr 25, 02:43:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home