Just a place for random rantings and ravings.....

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Cattle Politics

I'm not much of a t.v. watcher so when I do actually get a chance to sit and lose brain cells in front of the "dummy box"- as my grandfather used to call it, I expect at the very least to find something entertaining to watch. It seems these days, my pickins' are getting slimmer and slimmer. Tuesday night I found myself switching channels between updated New Hampshire primary results and bullshit t.v. We have 300 something satellite channels and just about all of them bored me. Eventually I settled on one of Atlanta's two PBS stations and watched a program on ranchers who enter their "best looking" cows into cattle shows. Yeah I said it CATTLE SHOWS. They're basically similar to the pompous dog breeder shows, but with cows- who knew it was that intense? These folks went on and on about what they do to their cows to prepare them for the shows- washing, trimming, feeding, pampering (how the hell do you pamper a cow?) etc. Whatever, to each their own. What got me was the judges and all the arbitrary bullshit they were talking about when describing the best cows in each breed category. Here are some quotes:

- This one has nice rounded shoulders
- The back on this one is nice and straight
- The legs have good muscle mass
-The bone structure in the rear is good in this one
- This one has good demeanor and attitude

Riddle me this Batman- how can you judge a cow's attitude? All the cows looked and acted pretty much the same to me, and if I was standing in the show room, I'm sure they'd all smell the same way too- like shit. Anyway, as I continued to periodically flick back to CNN/FOX"news" to see who was winning in N.H. I got hit with a HUGE epiphany:
This is exactly the same criteria a lot of voters use to pick their candidates.
Who has heard these quotes before?

"Hillary dresses the part."
"Mike Huckabee's minister background makes him a good candidate."
"Barack Obama has got a nice smile and pleasant demeanor."
"John McCain is too old to be president."
"Mitt Romney is a Mormon."
Sounds a little familiar doesn't it...

What happened to the days of picking a "leader" based on their record and capabilities instead of the lip service and tasty sound bytes they feed the media? Honestly, Dennis Kucinich, Mike Gravel, and Ron Paul are the "best" candidates if you ask me, and any of them would get my vote IF they were viable candidates rather than sidelined spectacles at the debates. But because they actually speak truthfully and look like hobbits, they're not "electable" by our country's fucked up election standards.




"I have The Precious...."

We might as well be turning in our voting registration cards and become cattle judges as far as I'm concerned. At least they know in the end that the criteria for making their decisions is basically......


11 Comments:

Blogger Woozie said...

Couldn't agree more. A while back Kiyotoe joked it would be funny if people had to justify their vote upon exiting the booth.

Fri Jan 11, 07:18:00 PM

 
Blogger Woozie said...

God damn, anyone else gonna comment?

Hello?

Bueller?

Tue Jan 22, 02:30:00 PM

 
Blogger paz y amor said...

My bad man, I've been playing hookie from my own blog! I don't think most people would be able to justify their votes if asked and that's a sad statement to the state of affairs with our democracy. In fact their vote may not even count considering the scandalous way some states don't require their voting machines to have a paper trail. Down the toilet we GO!!!!

Fri Jan 25, 07:51:00 AM

 
Blogger Ammaro said...

i love obama's big ears. thats why he got my vote.

Tue Jan 29, 04:26:00 AM

 
Blogger paz y amor said...

Ammaro- How did they let you vote from Bahrain?!?! Just kidding. There are actually people who would vote for him based on "his ears". Sad. I listened to his speech after his SC win and I was amazed. Like you said, I think he's on the way to the nomination, but let's hope that your prediction on an impending assassination attempt is wrong...

Tue Jan 29, 04:42:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd judge a cow by how many steaks I can get out of it.

Tue Jan 29, 01:13:00 PM

 
Blogger Ammaro said...

well, thats my theory. whether you like to believe it or not, some people are not going to want a black president to be up there... this is not necessarily a white thing, the shooter could be black for all i know, its just that it could shake things up in the US. i think obama knows the risk he's taking though.

Thu Jan 31, 06:14:00 AM

 
Blogger Gecko said...

Lol, I agree there's not much on telly...people rekon that once everything comes back from the christmas break that it'll get better...we'll see eh?

As for "cattle politics" I have to disagree with you here. As a cattle producer I must strive to inform you that there is a lot more behind raising cattle than 'pampering' them (although I'm not sure that they are pampered =P). I personally don't raise cattle for show, we raise beef cattle for meat, for the market. And guess where your meat comes from? Those pretty cows on the telly. Actually come to think of it it's probably moreso their cousins. =D

There is a lot more to raising cattle than you may think. I go into some details on my blog, so check it out if you'd like to open your mind(no offence). =)

In saying all this, I agree that throwing a halter on a steer and blow-drying him, then parading him around to get a stupid ribbon...cattle in themselves, and conformation, such as the straight back, is essential for the steak on your dining table.
If you'd like me to go into further details, leave a comment on my blog saying so and I shall educate those who would like the information.

Sun Feb 03, 01:32:00 AM

 
Blogger Gecko said...

No offence taken paz, I've just heard a lot of clueless people making jokes about cattle and farming, when they know absaloutly nothing about the work put into farming...I thought that was the case here, but it appears I was wrong. =) My apologies.

Mon Feb 04, 03:03:00 PM

 
Blogger Eyezaku said...

you should see japanese tv...

even though i dont get a vote im going for obama. if i had to justify my decision i'd say clinton reminds me too much of the president from prison break.

Thu Feb 07, 01:16:00 AM

 
Blogger paz y amor said...

Eye, who needs justification? She's too artificial for me, almost like a late night infomercial.

Thu Feb 07, 01:34:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home